NYC DOE Automated External Defibrillator (AED) Program
APPROVED Vendor for Professional Development and Training with the New York City Charter School Center
- State Education Law Section 917 requires public school administrators to ensure the presence of at least one (1) operable AED at each school building, as well as appropriately trained and certified staff who can respond to medical emergencies that require Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation/Automated External Defibrillator (CPR/AED).
- In addition, the law requires trained responders and AED(s) at all school sponsored or approved curricular or extra-curricular activities, including athletic events, on- or off-site. For schools/programs which share space, each Principal must ensure that their school is AED/CPR ready at all times.
- The DOE recommends each school/program have a minimum of 6 AED/CPR trained responders. Often times, administrators do not believe this number is sufficient and often has additional staff certified as NYC DOE AED/CPR First Responders There is no price on a child's life.
- While the requirement is to have only one AED available in each NYC DOE building, often times its located so far away that a quick response is not feasible.
- Every minute that passes that a required shock is not delivered to a sudden cardiac arrest victim. his/her chance of recovery decreases 10% PER MINUTE.
- Both adults AND children are SCA arrest victims. We provide FREE consultation to equip your facility with this lifesaving AED device.
An Alternative is Available to Meet the NYC DOE CPR AED Training Requirement
Over the past year, we have had a significant increase in training requests to utilize our fee-for-service CPR AED certification classes to not only meet, but exceed the NYC DOE CPR training requirement. When you contact us, we can customize a quote for your school to receive our onsite, high quality classes.
We offer the approved NYC DOE American Heart Association (AHA) and American Safety and Health Institute (ASHI) training to meet the requirement. Each of these CPR AED certifications are valid for two years. In addition, we prepare your staff for the the NYC DOE unannounced drills, which are held twice during the academic year. We work for YOU and look out for YOUR needs.
New York State Education Law Section 917: On-Site Cardiac Automated External Defibrillator
School districts, boards of cooperative educational services, county vocational education and extension boards and charter schools shall provide and maintain on-site in each instructional school facility automated external defibrillator (AED) equipment, as defined in paragraph (a) of subdivision one of section three thousand-b of the public health law, in quantities and types deemed by the commissioner in consultation with the commissioner of health to be adequate to ensure ready and appropriate access for use during emergencies.
Whenever public school facilities pursuant to subdivision one of this section are used for school sponsored or school approved curricular or extracurricular events or activities and whenever a school-sponsored athletic contest is held at any location, the public school officials and administrators responsible for such school facility or athletic contest shall ensure the presence of at least one staff person who is trained, pursuant to paragraph (a) of subdivision three of section three thousand-b of the public health law, in the operation and use of an AED. Where a school-sponsored competitive athletic event is held at a site other than a public school facility, the public school officials shall assure that automated external defibrillator equipment is provided on-site.
Public school facilities and staff pursuant to subdivisions one and two of this section shall be deemed a "public access defibrillation provider" as defined in paragraph (c) of subdivision one of section three thousand-b of the public health law and shall be subject to the requirements and limitations of such section.
Pursuant to section three thousand-a and three thousand-b of the public health law, any public access defibrillation provider, or any employee or other agent of the provider who, in accordance with the provisions of this section, voluntarily and without expectation of monetary compensation renders emergency medical or first aid treatment using an AED which has been made available pursuant to this section, to a person who is unconscious, ill or injured, shall be liable only pursuant to section three thousand-a of the public health law.
Why EMC CPR & Safety Training
On-site CPR/AED training for school staff
Our lively CPR/AED classes engage learners with hands-on training and equip them with the knowledge, skills, and confidence necessary to respond to sudden cardiac emergencies. Our CPR/AED classes in New Jersey prepare staff to perform CPR and use an AED on both adults and children.