The NYC City Department Health & Mental Hygiene requires that camp operators employ staff who are properly trained and possess valid certifications for the appropriate First Aid and CPR courses for their respective titles (i.e. Health Director, Aquatics Director, etc.) prior to receiving a permit to operate.
A permit can be denied or revoked, resulting in a closure of your camp and/or being fined, if:
- All certificates are not on-site and readily accessible during your camp’s inspection.
- Trainings or certifications are discovered to be falsified, unapproved, or invalid.
In addition, Subpart 7-2 of the State Sanitary Code requires the health director, other staff specified in section 7-2.8, and certain camp trip and activity leaders1 to possess valid certification in a course accepted by the Department as being equivalent to or exceeding course standards specified in Section 7-2.2(m). First Aid certifications are valid for the time period specified by the provider, but may not exceed three years from the date of course completion.
EMC CPR & Safety Training offers the following accepted courses to fulfill this requirement:
ECSI: Wilderness First Aid
Course Length: 8 hours
• Designed for those who work or travel in remote locations
• Covers preparation for outdoor events, what to look for and what to do in the event of an emergency in a remote
area, and how to make decisions about various types of care
• Offered as an 8 –hour Wilderness First Aid Basic Level course
National Safety Council Advanced First Aid, CPR & AED
Immediate response to emergency situations is critical. This 16-hour advanced first aid course will help them recognize and act in an emergency to sustain life. Designed for the layperson as well as health care professionals.
This course meets 2010 CPR and ECC Guidelines.
• NSC Basic Life Support for Health Care & Professional Rescuers
• How to control bleeding and manage shock
• Caring for injuries and medical emergencies
• Special situations, including behavioral emergencies, childbirth and remote-location first aid.
The New York State Sanitary Code (SSC) requires certain staff to possess a valid two-rescuer cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certification in a course accepted by the Department as providing an adequate level of training as follows:
Children’s Camps (Subpart 7-2 of the SSC) - CPR certification is required for the health director and other staff specified in sections 7-2.8 and 7-2.11(a)(5), aquatics director, lifeguards, and certain trip and activity leaders.
We offer the following accepted courses in two-rescuer professional-level CPR:
American Heart Association BLS for the Healthcare Provider
American Safety & Health Institute CPR PRO for the Professional Rescuer
Emergency Care and Safety Institute Heath Care Provider CPR
National Safety Council for Health Care & Professional Rescuers
*All these courses meet the 2010 CPR and ECC Guidelines.
What You Will Learn
• Professional rescuers’ role in emergencies
• Assessing victims’ conditions
• Basic life support, including rescue breathing, cardiac and respiratory emergencies, CPR airway obstruction and
automated external defibrillation use
• Role of the professional rescuer
• Sudden Cardiac Arrest and Early Defibrillation
• Chain of Survival
• Personal Safety
• Chest Compressions
• Rescue Breaths—CPR Mask
• Rescue Breaths—Bag-Mask
• Rescue Breaths—Other Considerations
• Primary Assessment—Unresponsive Patient
• Unresponsive and Breathing—Recovery Position
• Unresponsive, Not Breathing, and Has a Pulse—Rescue Breathing
• Unresponsive, Not Breathing, and Pulseless—CPR
• Special resuscitation situations
• Advanced resuscitation
• Automated External Defibrillators
• Basic AED Operation
• Troubleshooting and Other AED Considerations
• Team Approach
• Legal Considerations
• Emotional Considerations
Call us today for a FREE consultation and pricing on
NYC Day Camp First Aid/CPR Training Packages.
We travel to your location to provide your staff with the classes to meet the
CPR AND FIRST AID requirements of the
NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene for day camps.
CALL 800-695-5655 or 212-537-9477