Indiana Department Education
CPR Requirement for Teachers

CPR-Heimlich Maneuver-AED Certification

In order to obtain your teaching license in Indiana, whether it is an initial or renewal application, you are required to get certified in CPR/AED. There are specific required topics and hands-on components that must be included. We are here to help make the process easier.

EMC CPR & Safety Training has an established history working with teachers. We understand how to meet your needs and make it as easy as possible. We offer the following:

    •    ASHI CPR and AED class that meets the CPR-Heimlich Meneuver-AED certification requirements.

    •    Utilize one manikin per person, which reduces training time and reduces sanitary concerns.

    •    Provide the accepted digital certification card SAME DAY.

    •    FREE replacement certification card if lost or misplaced.

    •    FREE ongoing support with unlimited phone consultation. We understand questions may arise after the class ends.

    •    Provide an EXPERIENCED instructor who genuinely cares about each student and makes sure the student
          (they/them/theirs, she/her/hers, he/him/his) is confident to respond in an emergency.

Per Indiana Code 20-28-5-3(c), applicants applying for an initial teaching license (and at the time of conversion or renewal of any kind) must have successfully completed training in:

  • Cardiopulmonary resuscitation that includes a test demonstration on a mannequin,
  • Removing a foreign body causing an obstruction in an airway, and the Heimlich Maneuver;
  • Beginning July 1, 2011, the use of an automated external defibrillator (AED); and
  • Hold a valid certification in each of these procedures from either the American Red Cross or the American Heart Association or other providers as approved by the department.

An initial teaching license is the first license issued to an applicant, regardless of content area or setting. Effective July 1, 2012, the requirements listed above must be met for the following initial license and permit renewals:

  • Current Indiana educators must show proof of valid CPR/AED/Heimlich certification.
  • In state program completers applying for initial licensure must show proof of valid CPR/AED/Heimlich certification.